Monday, February 05, 2007

 
Feeling much better today, thank you...

Was in the storefront from 10-2 with a couple of friends -- it feels GOOD to be "in"! We cleaned up the place, started strategizing -- lots of work to do. We're working on getting phone lines, internet, and everything else set up, and intend to have tasks organized for volunteers to undertake if and when they start dropping in. Please do drop on by, if not to work, at least to say hi. We've got a few tasks outlined, but mostly, right now, if you come by you'll just get a sense of the potential of the place! It's really awesome. And it's a perfect place from which to jumpstart The Plan (next paragraph) 3208 Grand Av, Oakland, 94610 -- right next to the Grand Lake Theater.


AGAIN, THE PLAN -- On Saturday, March 24 (probable date, but not set in stone), at 100 different locations around the United States, we are going to recreate, simultaneously, the piece of public performance art we created on January 6 in San Francisco. During the next several weeks, I and whoever will help me are going to coach people who want to organize an event in their own locales on just what needs to be done.

This idea seems to be thick in the air. Even before I've publicized it, I've received emails and phone calls from people in 8-10 cities around the US: "That thing at the beach was fantastic -- how can I do that here in my city?" Off the top of my head, I'm in contact with people in Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, New Orleans, St. Louis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Washington DC, New York City, and a retirement home in Seal Beach, CA, all of who are interested in organizing a 100-foot 'IMPEACH!' event. And now, today, I'm starting to publicize it for the first time. Are YOU interested'

There is a finite list of things you'll need to do to pull this off and I'm working on it to post to the web site. Here are the basics:

-- Choose a good site, and obtain a permit if indeed a permit is required.

-- Obtain the tools and materials needed to outline the message 'IMPEACH!' in 100-foot letters.

-- Make sure you have approximately 1,000 people signed up. (A very handy online event organizing tool makes this job fairly easy -- even I mastered it, and I'm hopeless on a computer.)

-- Engage a photographer, and alert the media in your area.

-- It would be best to have a team of about 10-20 people to help you pull this off, but each event will need one person to assume responsibility. (While organizing such an event alone is probably not optimal, I have proved to my own satisfaction that it can actually be done.)


If 100 events like the one we staged in San Francisco are held simultaneously around the country, we will have an international news story. Our politicians will be emboldened to stand up to our current disastrous administration and begin the proceedings that will force them from office. And we can start again in trying to build a safe and peaceful and just world.

If you have an inkling that you'd like to organize an event in your town, I promise: 1) I'll do everything in my power to support you in having a successful event, and 2) the next 6-8 weeks of your life will almost certainly be unlike anything you've ever experienced before.

If you're considering it, or even if you're just curious, shoot me an email (newsham@mac.com) or give me a call (415-305-8294). And please forward this to any individual in the States (or anywhere, actually) who you think might be an
appropriate organizer in their area.


Tons of work to do in the six weeks and four days between now and March 24.

Onward!

brad
newsham@mac.com
415-305-8294

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?